Thoracic services (lungs)
The cardiac services directorate manages one of the biggest cardiac centres in the country, offering dedicated, specialist care. It deals with all aspects of the diagnosis, management and treatment of heart conditions in adults.
- One of the UK's leading and highest volume centres in coronary intervention including coronary angiography and percutaneous coronary intervention for acute ischaemia (primary angioplasty) and stable angina.
- Recognised for leading the introduction and roll-out of primary angioplasty for acute heart attack to the East of England, known as the Primary Percutaneous coronary intervention (PPCI) service.
- A leading centre for intervention in structural heart disease including closure of septal defects, atrial septal defects (ASD) and patent foramen ovale (PFO), atrial appendage closure and transcatheter treatment of valve disease including balloon valvuloplasty and transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI).
- Recognised as one of the UK’s leading centres for Electrophysiology (EP) .
- A major centre for device implantation including pacemakers, biventricular pacemakers and implantable defibrillators.
Cardiac services include:
- Interventional Cardiology (Coronary intervention and Structural intervention)
- Electrophysiology and Devices
- Non-invasive Diagnostic and Cardiac Physiology
- Papworth Direct
We have 17 cardiologists and 11 visiting cardiologists. Our cardiologists and cardiothoracic surgeons work closely together to ensure that the most appropriate clinical decisions are made in response to the needs and expectations of our patients.
On average we undertake almost 8,135 cardiac admitted cases each year:
Type of procedure (2013/2014)
The cardiac services are based in six wards of the hospital (see our facilities) and are backed by a wealth of experienced professional staff to ensure that patients and their relatives are physically and psychologically cared for during time spent under our care.
The directorate is managed by the clinical director